Sunday, December 1, 2013

Emerilware sucks #14

From the Consumer Affairs website: 

Thomas of Portland, OR on Dec. 6, 2008

The cookware was being heated on high for no more than 5 min when I noticed that there were silver droplets forming on the underside of the pan. It was melting! I went to remove it from the stove and the bottom fell off causing the metal (I'm thinking Tin or some alloy because there are flecks) to splatter all over the stove and down the front of the over. A few drips landed on the hand towels that were hanging neatly on the handle of the over door immediately setting them on fire.
Steel has a melting point between 1700 and 2500 degree (dependent on the flavor and quality).
The bottom is copper with a higher melting point that steel.
There is no reason to bind these two together with a metal that has a melting point under 600!
This is a flaw in the product!
Damage to the stove, floor and burned on my foot.
Though I would like to be remembered for the cost of the stove it is more important to have this product recalled before it causes anymore damage or harms anyone further! The house could have easily burned down. It's not like anyone what expect their pan to melt. It's not like I put a ted bear on the stove and walked away.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Emerilware sucks #13

From the Consumer Affairs website: 

Benjamin of Madison, WI on Oct. 23, 2008

I enjoyed watching Emeril and used to look forward to his shows at the end of my workday. I purchased a full set of Emeril cookware from Bed Bath and Beyond. Recently one morning I selected the 3 qt. pot to make old fashioned oatmeal. I stood in front of the stove (I was barefoot and wearing shorts), placed the pan on the burner, turned half a step to the sink (90 degrees from the stove) drew a cup of water, turned again placed it in the pot, and turned on the heat. I then again turned a half a step away began making a cup of coffee.
It did not seem like more than a minute when I was shocked and startled by the bottom of the pot exploding, sending molten aluminum on my stove, on the floor, and on me. The molten metal splattered on my legs and feet causing blisters where the metal contacted my skin, and burn where it contacted my shorts. It ran off me, off the stove and onto the floor where it pooled in places and was so hot it started the vinyl to burn (setting off the fire alarm). I was NOT prepared for this and was shocked and surprised and stood still for a moment in pain and disbelief. I stood there and could not do anything (for example, pick up the molten aluminum).
After a moment I gained my composure I filled another pot with water and threw it on my legs and on the molten pools of aluminum on the floor, thus preventing further burns to my legs and a larger fire. My burns are beginning to heal. I have not yet replaced my kitchen floor. I have not been brave enough to try use the pots and pans again.

Burns on my body. Fire in my kitchen. Ruined kitchen floor. Pans useless. This pan set dangerous.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The pictures are now also on Pinterest

Somebody suggested that I post the pictures from my story on Pinterest (thank you for the idea, you know who you are), so I created a board there:
Feel free to re-pin!

Emerilware sucks #12

From the Consumer Affairs website: 

Lisa of Woodbridge, VA on Oct. 20, 2008

I put on the small stock pot with cool water in preparation to cook pasta and turned on the burner. Within seconds, the bottom of the pot exploded, me standing in front of it. It ruined the heating element and the burner and spewed toxic material on my range and in the air. I am thankful that my daughter and my pet were not in the room. My daughter, a teenager, cooks herself. I shutter to think if it had been she who was cooking and not me.
As an aside, the cookware's performance was abysmal. Just as the reviewers indicated, sticking was an issue. I have used both expensive and inexpensive cookware, this set being somewhere in the middle, so I am both knowledgeable and skilled on their uses and limitations. I am going back to Macy's to see whether they will accept the return, as it appears that the Emeril/All-Clad group will not stand behind its products. If not, I am sure not to patronize either again.

Monday, October 7, 2013

Emerilware sucks #11

From the Consumer Affairs website: 

Art of Memphis, TN on Oct. 8, 2008

The pan melted. Molten aluminum burned me, the floor and a rug. Very dangerous. Very expensive to fix. Replace burner, floor tiles, rug. burns on my legs and feet

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Emerilware sucks #10

From the Consumer Affairs website:

Jessica of Aliso Viejo, CA on June 18, 2008

One of my Emeril cookware pots EXPLODED when I was just boiling water. Moulton Aluminum came out of the pot onto my glass stove top. It left huge holes in my stove top- breaking the glass. My stove top is now ruined, and I was exposed to liquid aluminum-VERY toxic! Thank goodness none of it got on my skin. I can't tell enough people JUST HOW UPSET I AM over this situation- my health has been compromised. I am HIGHLY disappointed in this pan set- and urge anyone with the set to return it immediately! You can't put a price on your health!!!
My stove-top is going to cost a couple hundred dollars to fix- and my pots are ruined. I still have the receipt and will return at Macy's today!  

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Emerilware sucks - story #9

From the Consumer Affairs website:

Richard of New York, NY on June 9, 2008
Have had a one quart Emeril brand pot for less than a year purchased at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Performed beautifully for awhile. Did not overheat the pot; it heats up VERY quickly and continues to hold heat for a long time, even off the flame. Just noticed that the bottom covering of the I would guess aluminum core is separating, making the pot unusable. Don't want molten aluminum dripping on my stove or body. Is this a common complaint. What do the manufacturer's suggest, beyond using a lower temp flame -- and what is THAT exactly?
A very expensive piece of cookware is unusable after less than a year.